Yesterday morning was going well, until the drive to school... Rachael asked Josh to help her with her site words. She was struggling a little and within 2 minutes Josh was getting angry and frustrated. Just like a flick of a switch the mood changed. I was pleading for strength to help me stay calm, focused and to speak to the children in the correct manner. Before we arrived at school I was told to shut up and was already the meanest person in the world. The bell rang as I was walking them up the the school, Josh said to me "sometimes I really wish I had a different mom". I turned to him, said "I love you and hope you can have a good day". That was it, he was off and I was feeling hurt.
I took my time driving home, I was very hurt and upset. Once home I found Josh's school diary on the table. I contemplated; do I take it to him or let him learn the hard way. I wanted to show love and compassion but also want him to learn more independance. I decided not to take it to him and instead cleaned the house to keep my mind off it. Thankfully I had a pre arranged lunch with some friends that helped to cheer me up.
On my way to pick Josh and Rach up from school I was preparing for the worst. I am sure that his feelings were only festering and becoming more hostile towards me when he realized his diary was not in his bag. Because we all know, it's my fault right?!
I waited on the sidewalk beside the car watching for them to come out of the school and ready for the attack. To my surprise I saw a happy, energetic boy running at me with his arms wide open. Josh wrapped his arms tightly around me and offered the most sincere apology about that morning. I was in shock, did this just really happen? He was so upbeat and in such a great mood. The entire evening was a joy for everyone. Josh was so willing to help and be helped without complaint. He unloaded the car and carried Rachael's backpack for her, he helped clean up, spoke with kind tones and tried to calm Rebecca when she was crying. Numerous time throughout the evening he was giving me big hugs and kisses expressing his love for me.
This was a tender mercy moment that the Lord knew I needed.
Today I had another tender mercy. As I picked the kids up from school I was greeted with two lovely smiles, hellos and I love you mom. Josh first exclaimed "Mom, I am really starting to like school, I am learning so much". He also said "I chose to pass my free computer time at recess and instead go play with Rachael on the playground, I had so much fun". I am not only happy that he is enjoying school now but he is making new friends, greeting and saying hello to those friends in my presence and then also taking good care of and looking out for his litter sister. I love that he chose to play with her for the hour lunch break instead of playing the computer. Such joy fills my heart.
My evening finished up at the Melbourne Temple. It has been a wonderful couple of days and my heart is full!

No comments:
Post a Comment