When Rachael was very young she came in contact with Pistachio nuts. A simple touch to her lips and her face swelled. We knew there was a problem.
After further skin test we found that she was severely allergic to Pistachio and Cashew nuts. Cashews being even worse for her. With advice to avoid all Tree Nuts and a prescribed Epi Pen in hand I knew it would only be a matter of time before we had an attack. I didn't know what to expect but knew what I needed to do if it were to happen just hoping that it happened when I was present.
We did our best to educate Rachael in screening food from others and such. But it's such a hard process and something you have to ALWAYS be thinking about when eating outside of your own home.
Moving to Australia has proven more difficult. With the high popularity of Asian, Indian, Thai and other oriental foods nuts are used everywhere. We've had some nice dishes ordered in only to then find out that they were cooked with Cashews or Pistachio. Rachael never complains and if anything has become more cautious towards all new foods.
Wednesday afternoon we began eating some banana bread a friend brought over. It was a flour less, sugar less delight. I made the mistake of forgetting to ask if there were nuts. Rachael ate half a slice and not long after stopped saying that her mouth and tummy felt really full and that she ate too much. She then quickly went into another room and brought back her inhalers. I immediately knew something was wrong.
She then began to cry and pointed to her mouth, she opened and I began to panic quietly. I knew exactly what was going on. Everything happened so quickly, I sent a text to Aaron (he was stuck on a train trying to get home), Josh was at a friends house (I was due to pick him up in 30 minutes), Joseph was running around a massive line of his toys streamed across the floor and Rebecca was now crying on the floor. I rushed Rachael into the kitchen where I tried my best to calm her down.
I said a pleading prayer in my heart and asked Rachael to slowly and calmly open her mouth. I gave her some Benadryl and could see her throat quickly closing up. I felt strongly I needed to administer the Epi Pen. I was terrified. I read the label over a few times and prayed again in my heart for guidance and strength. Rachael was scared but had pleading eyes right on me. She was scared, so was I. My heart rate climbed and was racing, I was shaking and sweating all at once. Here went nothing...
Not even a minute had passed after administering the medicine and Rachael's eyes widened in astonishment. She opened her mouth and the swelling was completely gone. I had no idea that this medicine worked like this, it was miracle medicine. Knowing the protocol and because Rach has never been given an Epi Pen I called (000) equivalent of (911 in the USA). She became very lethargic and pale in the face. The paramedics arrived at the same time my friend arrived. I left with Rachael in the Ambulance and my friend stayed with the others and picked Josh up for me.
Once at the hospital it was busy and completely different from what I was used to in the USA. Because we are foreign and on a work visa they had to take some different protocols. Rachael was feeling very sick and continued to ask for water, a doctor brought her apple juice. One sip and she started throwing up. It was everywhere :( Because she threw up they had to admit us to monitor her for 4 hours. Throwing up is a sign of anaphylactic shock and they needed to make sure she wasn't going to have another outbreak. It was a long and tiring afternoon but all went well and we were released at 8:30pm.
I am grateful for modern medicine and to the knowledge we have of allergies and how to prevent and save lives. I am grateful for the promptings Aaron and my friend had to do what they did. Everything fell into place and went as smoothly as I could have asked for. I knew this would happen some day and I am grateful it happened as it did. We are now all better educated, prepared and can hopefully prevent many future encounters from happening.
The next day Aaron took off from work and we planned for Rachael to stay at home from school. When I asked Josh to get ready for school that morning Rachael got upset with me and said "Mom, but why didn't you ask me to get ready for school, I want to go too". She insisted to attend school.
When we step back and take a bigger look we can learn so much from our children. Rachael is a great example to me in the ability she has to bounce back. She has incredible resilience and hasn't let this experience stop her.
I feel incredibly loved, blessed and very grateful!
Dropping Josh and Rach off at school the next morning
Afternoon break and lunch at Costco
Quick stop at the temple to partake of it's beauty.
The colors were so vibrant!



Grannie told me about this when I Skyped her. So scary! I am so glad you were there and able to respond so well to the situation. I think its these moments that show us just how strong and capable we are. You are a mommy rock star!
ReplyDelete