Rachael Jane Presbury
Well she is finally here and I could never be more thrilled. I swear those last few weeks leading up to delivery are the worst, the feel like the last FOREVER (amongst the 9 months I've already experienced).
Everything from delivery to now has gone so perfectly, I couldn't have asked for more and our new little addition is simply adorable.
On the morning of March 17th, 2009 we got a call from Labor and Delivery at 6:45 a.m. calling us in for induction. We quickly got ourselves together and headed in. By around 8:00 I was in my delivery room where they were hooking me up to all the exciting equipment along with going through all the paperwork. I was still dilated 3 centimeters and 60 % effaced (same as at my appointment the Thursday before). The monitor also showed I was having regular contractions but they were not phasing me much as I had been experiencing them constantly for the last week or so.
Around 9:00 the doctor came in and broke my waters and I was dilated to a 4. By 9:30 the contractions were coming every 3 minutes and were very strong. The doctor said at that point I could easily have her by lunch time. I was so excited at this point but didn't want to get my hopes up. I have always been told that it takes awhile being induced so I was thinking... 'no way would it be that quick - I remember sitting in the delivery room for hours waiting for my son to be born after being induced. '
10:30 I had just gotten my epidural and when they checked me I was already dilated to an 8. What? I should have had them check me before the epidural... I do have to say though that this time the epidural was perfect. I had nothing to compare my son's birth to but now I do. The epidural was just enough to take away the strong pain. I could still feel all the pressure and could move my legs and body. With my son I was completely numb, could not move an inch. This time I was still experiencing the contractions and even had the urge to push. It was fantastic!!!
I was dreading the epidural experience this time because of the horrible experience with Josh but it turned out better than I could have ever expected.
I was dreading the epidural experience this time because of the horrible experience with Josh but it turned out better than I could have ever expected.
Only 15 minutes later at 10:45 I was at 9 centimeters. 11:00 they called the doctor over for delivery and by 11:10 I started pushing with contractions. It was the most relaxed (as relaxed as childbirth can be) and calm as I could ever imagine. My nurses were fantastic and I just love my doctor. He is brilliant!17 minutes of pushing and she was born. Throughout delivery she was coming down posterior so the doctor had to turn her, she also came out with the umbilical cord around her neck. The doctor was fantastic through everything though and Aaron even got to cut the umbilical cord.
Rachael Jane
Born at 11:27 a.m.
Weighing 8 lbs 7 oz
20 inches long
This experience was so great - compared to my first I would have to say it's 100 times better. Everything from the facility to the nurses and doctor were better. I loved it and my whole stay in the hospital was so nice, I felt great and still do! The most pain I have had is strangely in my tailbone. Seriously it's painful to sit on and I am convinced it's because she was posterior.I came home on the Thursday and things have gone well here. I could never be more grateful for all the wonderful family and friends we are surrounded by. I am so grateful for everyone that has done so much to help our little growing family. Everything from taking care of josh to the fantastic meals and gifts to the wonderful congrats. I have never felt so blessed to be surrounded by such fantastic people. Thank you everyone!
Once coming home we did have to take Rachael back in for bilirubin testing a couple times but it was never anything we had to end up treating under lights. I took her in on Monday to be weighed and she was already back up to 8 lbs 5 oz. When we left the hospital she had dropped to 7lbs 11oz and in 4 days she had gained nearly her birth weight back. I was shocked because she has been spitting up so much but she is a very happy and content baby. The other thing I had checked on Monday was her eyes. From birth she has some pretty bad hemorrhaging in both eyes. Her right eye is the worst but doctor said they should go away. Other than that she is doing so well and is such a good baby.
Joshua is so thrilled to have a little sister and is always concerned about her well being. He asks questions all the time and loves to be involved. He especially loves holding her until his arms are numb. One of the days we had to take Rachael back into the hospital for a test he fell asleep in the car, when we got home he was so upset thinking we had taken her back to the hospital and left her. I had to show him that she was happy and asleep in her bed. He then got a huge smile on his face and said with a giggle 'Oh... Baby Rachael stay at Joshy's House?' He is so cute.
What a lovely post, Josh is so obviously besotted with his adorable sister, I love the photos and so excited to see you all in the flesh soon X
ReplyDeleteI love your commentary on Josh. That is so sweet that he wants to be so involved. She looks adorable I can't wait to snuggle with her.
ReplyDeleteShe is just adorable, I am glad that her birth went so well for you!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! She's gorgeous! Glad everything went well!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I can't believe how good you looked after giving birth Kim! Glad things are going well for you all! xx
ReplyDeleteLoved reading this - she's gorgeous! x x
ReplyDeleteHow CUTE is she! I love your cute family! Congrats on having the new baby.
ReplyDelete