23 July 2010

Gardening

I love gardening and as strange as this may sound pulling weeds is somewhat therapeutic for me. Now i'm not talking about the weeds as seen in the picture below, those are a nightmare. I am talking about the small (easy to pull out) ones that pop up in my flower beds. I am not saying I like weeds, not in any way, but when I do get a moment outside to enjoy the weather and pull out those stragglers it feels nice. On the other hand I can't stand it when they get out of control and then it becomes a project rather than a little chore.
On another not I cannot stand the other things that come with gardening. Such as grasshoppers snakes and spiders.
Too many times I will be in deep thought gardening when one of those jumping hoppers scares the life out of me. Ahhhh I hate things making me jump. But then I think those creepy crawlers are the worst. The spider in the picture is called a Daring Jumping Spider. That certain picture is not one I took but is of a creature I came in contact with. It was not funny. The thing looks huge but is really only the size of a penny but I about died. As I came within an inch of that I then cut my gardening to an end. I was not going into that things territory. 
That snake was not far from my front door. A nice neighbor kid took it off for me so I didn't have to deal with it.

Onto to better things:


STRAWBERRIES!!!
My strawberry plants did amazingly well this year. I got bowls and bowls off my plants and the kids loved picking them. I ended up making strawberry jam and taught Josh how to do it. He was so helpful and had a blast helping me with every step. Now he enjoys eating the jam we made. 

PEAS!!!
Back on March 24th I planted my first peas. Unfortunately I didn't get my garden area ready in time so I had to settle for one item this year. I am dying to get a large garden going with numerous vegetables but that will have to wait until next year. So Josh helped me plan these peas and we patiently waited for 3 months to get the return. I watched in excitement as the plants began to grow and the little white flowers bloomed. Then it seemed as if the peas just popped out of no where. I had planted two different types and the sugar snap peas are my favorite.



FLOWERS!!!
I also loved watching my purple iris' bloom and my red poppies.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Kimmy those photos are amazing even of the spider, grasshoppers and snake :-) I love the photos of Josh and Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks Mum. The only picture I didn't take was of the spider. All the others are mine. By the time I got my camera out that little guy was gone. So I found him online :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just READING your blog made me more relaxed! You are welcome to pull weeds at my house anytime. There are plenty to go around. You should be completely relaxed by the time you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smile on your kiddos faces.
    Next year we hope to get our garden going there was just too many other things to do this year. Where in your yard did you put the garden?

    ReplyDelete