Now that I have made it through the rough first half of this pregnancy and I can finally start to think about food again 'let a lone eat it, smell it and prepare it' I've started ordering from Bountiful Baskets.org again.
I absolutely LOVE it! Getting 50% fruits and 50% vegetables for $16.00 is a huge bargain in so many ways for me.
First of all price comparisons usually come out to be a savings of around $20.00-$25.00 each week depending on what you get and the pricing in the grocery stores.
Another reason I love it is because it makes me try new things. I got an acorn squash once and found numerous yummy recipes I tried. It's now a favorite. Getting things I wouldn't normally find in a grocery store or even buy puts me in a spot to find new recipes and try new things. It also gets my kids used to eating different foods (usually the vegetables) This week's adventures will be with asparagus, chili peppers and butternut squash.
Once I pick up the food Saturday morning I then plan out the meals for the week or weeks depending on what I get. My favorite part is the fruit. I have fruit loving children and I could end up spending a fortune in the grocery store with the amount they like to eat, this way they have all they want and usually can't get through it in one week. We end up making smoothies :)
The best part is that the fruit usually still needs quite a bit of time to ripen so it lasts a whole lot longer then when you buy it from your grocery store.
This is what I got today:
3 Butternut Squash
1 bunch of Spinach
1 large head of Romaine Lettuce
1 nice sized bundle of Asparagus
3 Anaheim Peppers
Pack of Cherry Tomatoes
7 Minneola Tangelo (cross between a grapefruit and tangerine YUM)
3 Asian Pears
3 + pounds of Bartlett Pears
6 Kiwi
5 Apples
1 Pineapple
Mmmm, time for some fruit for sure :)
Here is a previous picture from what I got back in October. It was a double order that I split with my mom and oh the food was so good.

hey Kim... Congrats on being pregnant. Not that it's new news to you... but it is to me. :) I'm glad you're feeling better. And I'm glad you posted about Bountiful Baskets. I keep worrying that I'll only get weird stuff that I won't know how to use so I'm glad you posted about all the normal stuff you got. I ought to try it...
ReplyDeletewow! I am going to do this there is one where we live; amazing idea:)
ReplyDeleteThanks Heather! We really do enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteSome tips for you guys when ordering:
Order early, I think it opens at noon on Monday and some pick ups sell out super fast. I just went on and some of the spots here are nearly full. Luckily the one right down the street from me still has quite a few..
Also, if you can volunteer! You do have to show up an hour early but you'll be the first to check out and you get any extra food. BONUS!
I hope you ladies like it. Let me know if you try it and what you think.