31 August 2011

Joshua's First Day of Kindergarten

Today was a bitter sweet day for me. Joshua was beginning his first day of Kindergarten. 
We've had schooling experiences in the past (two years of fantastic preschools) but I had complete control then, taking him to and from his school and classroom. This year, it is out of my hands and he rides the bus. Something I am in no way familiar with, I never rode a bus to school as I was within walking distances every year of my schooling.

Josh was super excited though and unfortunately we did not sleep well the night before. He was so excited he was continually waking up (poor thing) reminds me when I couldn't sleep in excitement for Christmas day. 
I was up with Joseph about 3 times in the night, this is so unlike him as he sleeps 8 to 9 hours at night as well.
But the adrenalin was with us today and we all made it through, I can't tell you how many times Josh asked me "is it time yet" and this morning felt like it went by so slowly.

The excitement began as we walked to the bus stop. The bus showed up quite late and Josh gave me two enormous hugs before getting a bit teary eyed and stepping onto the bus. I had to quickly compose myself before I completely lost it. We waved goodbye and that was it. 


I was heading out to Costco so decided to stop by the school and watch him get off the bus and head into his classroom. Well as his teacher walked the class in, he was not in the line. WHAT? I then had tons of emotions starting to flow and thinking the worst. I decided to wait, maybe his bus hasn't shown up yet, but then why?... I waited 15 minutes longer and then decided to go into the school to check. (all this happening while Joseph is screaming in the back seat). Just as I get out of the car his bus shows up.
I guess it was a crazy day for the bus drivers as well with kids not getting off at the right stops while picking up the PM kindergartners. Yikes. 

Before even heading to the bus stop I quickly took some pictures of my handsome Joshua. While doing so Rachael had to get in as well. I just wish she would have smiled like this during our family photo shoot on Saturday. She wouldn't smile once, she is so stubborn but absolutely adorable!


 Don't you just want to squeeze those cheeks?

Here Josh is coming off the bus, he was beaming.
Thankfully we have some great neighbor's looking out for him and help make sure he gets on the right bus.


Literally 10 minutes after getting Josh from the bus stop and arriving home he had soccer practice. He quickly got dressed and we headed over. In the short time he had he told me all about his day and how wonderful it was. The best line "I played on the playground with a kid wearing a red shirt with Angry Birds on it" haha.

This begins a new adventure in our lives, I better soon get used to it, it's such a new feeling...
We are so proud of you Josh!

3 comments:

  1. Love this post and photos, just look at Rach, what a monkey, but a gorgeous cheeky monkey at that :-) So glad Josh had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cute! It reminds me of the first day of Kindergaren for you, Scott & Stephanie. Cried everytime. I am glad I only had to do it 3 times.....now I am way too old for that stuff. I remember vividly what you were wearing, little red sweater and plaid pleated skirt. The sweater had a poodle on it. You looked so cute! As you lined up with the class and walked in, you looked so grown up! What happened to my little daughter? The rest of her life would never be the same. There are a lot of memories written on my heart. First day of Kindergarten will always be there. Only a mother knows what it is like. Gets you ready to send them on a mission and then marriage! Holy Cow! Don't want to do that again either (smile). Love ya, Mom
    P.S. I am way too old for math too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is SO cute! I KNOW I will loose it the first day for Jack next year. How did you have a kid old enough for kindergarten? Time flies huh?

    ReplyDelete