20 March 2013

We can do hard things!!

I found myself reflecting on past conversations about our kids and realized that a lot of the time I am discussing struggles or challenges I have with them as a mother. Discipline, attitude, chores, manners, obedience.... The list is long.

Don't get me wrong, it's not always negative not at all, I love and praise my kids when appropriate. But why then am I discussing these things?

Well it's simple, for support and guidance. It's so nice to know I am not the only one experiencing these things. I am also learning that things come in phases with all ages.

As I sit in bed tonight (trying out my new blogger app on my phone) I wanted to document true as frequent feelings about our oldest, Joshua.

7 is a tough age, hardest yet for me for sure. But it seems to be a common thing amongst parents I associate with. Even though there are tantrums, arguing and mean things said Josh is truly and amazing boy! He is brilliant, very very thoughtful and could ask you question after question for hours looking for answers. Tonight he was reading and began asking questions about giants, that eventually led to things he read in the Book of Mormon about the Jaredites.. Many times I do not have answers for him and it is frustrating for him.

Anyway, today was one of his great days. He does have these very frequently and I hope to point these out more often. Why is it we dwell on the negative in the moment???

He came home from school beaming from ear to ear full of new jokes (as usual). He came in and told me all about his day and then proceeded to start his homework. Afterwards he practiced piano and the took out all the trash in the house. He worked on a few other things and then we went outside to enjoy the sun. He decided it would be fun to have a picnic and went inside to prepare.

He came out 10 minutes later with lunch boxes for each of us filled with crackers, drinks, fruit, chips and granola bars. It was the sweetest thing. We enjoyed laughter and our snacks as we gathered on a blanket in the warm sun.

It didn't end there, he is so helpful and most the time willing to do whatever I need help with.
The pictures below show our picnic and then tonight while Aaron was helping to distract Rachael while nebulizing her Josh read to Joseph until I was ready to come tuck them in bed.

I just love this sweet boy so much and am so proud of him. I never have to worry about him In school, he strives his hardest and does outstanding. His teacher just loves him. We will continue on our journey of parenthood and overcome the hard times.

Out family motto: "We can do hard things!!!"







1 comment:

  1. What a sweetheart!!! I feel the same... it is so easy to focus on the "hard" things and forget to see all the rewards and blessing that come from doing all the "hard" things. I think you are awesome, thanks for your constant example:)

    ReplyDelete