Last fall I had so much fun learning to can. I had seen my mom do it many times but had never tried myself. I started by helping a friend can loads of pears. Whew it was sure a major job but we had a great time.
My grandma ended up giving me her canning equipment which I am so grateful for. I ended up making salsa, canning stewed tomatoes and two different types of peach jam. Yum! I also have learned a lot about preserving foods and freezing. I have come across okra in one of my bountiful basket orders and didn't know what to do with it. Knowing it wouldn't keep long I was able to process it and freeze it. Now it's ready to pull out and throw in a stew (which I will be trying soon).
I also helped my mom can some pickled beets from her garden. YUM!
I hope I can try out some new things this year and hopefully get a garden planted but we will see how that all goes with a new baby :)

That is so great! My mom just gave me her canning stuff and I really want to learn how to use it! I was also going to tell you, one thing my family likes to do with okra is bread it and fry it...not the healthiest way to cook it, but it is so good! Oh and congrats on the pregnancy! I know I'm a little late, but I haven't been keeping up with blogs as much lately.
ReplyDelete