15 January 2015

Cape Schanck Lighthouse

Wednesday 7th January 2015




The kids and I set out on a new adventure driving about 50 minutes down to Cape Schanck Lighthouse to breathe the cleanest air in the world. Seriously though, I did not make that up. CSIRO scientist bottle the air there after gale force winds blow uncontaminated air directly from the Antarctic.
It was refreshingly breathtaking ;)



When we arrive the heat was already beginning to swelter everything. 
As we started off on our hike the first person we encountered looked at me, chuckled to himself and said "you look like you are training for Mt Everest". I wasn't sure how to respond to that wearing flip flops and a Hawaiian dress. I get the backpack part but seriously? I think he must have been referencing the fact I had 4 kids on my own...



The area was beautiful! A timber boardwalk took us down the cliffs to the rock pools below. Seriously so much fun! We counted around 400 steps round trip, no wonder we were all complaining of sore calf muscles the next day.


Once we got to the black rock pools at the bottom we had a look around and we found a crab leg and a few other colorful creatures.


After we finished there we drove a short distance to Fingal reserve where we found a picnic table in the shade to have a snack break. It was so peaceful and a relief from the heat. As we sat there quietly butterflies of all sizes and colors were flying around us. It was magical.


We set off on foot down another trail and went until the kids were ready to turn back. By that point they were all ready for a nap.



As they slept I drove down to Rye Beach and along the coast line stopping at Keast Beach (our favorite beach near home).  We picked up Subway sandwiches and enjoyed them on the beach as we watched a thunderstorm enfold over the city. Aaron was sending us pictures of the intense rain and hail storms while we sent him pictures of our burning feet in the sand.




It was such a hot day Becca had her first real swim in the frigid ocean water. It felt divine and we all had such a good time splashing and laughing. The winds picked up a bit and waves started coming onto shore. Becca was giggling so much as she layed on Joshs' boogie board crashing through the waves.


On our way home to greet Aaron from work we stopped for slushies at 7-eleven. What a perfect summer day excursion.


http://youtu.be/6SFHNdh2fs4

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodNess Rebecca's wet curls, wave and downward dog are the best! I'm dying over here with the cuteness overload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery, thanks for capturing your fun moments and love the video and music again :-)

    ReplyDelete