I still can't believe I have an eight year old. Where has the time gone?
I had always had an idea of how I thought the day would go for our first child's baptism. Never in a million years would I have imagined us doing that in Australia.
I am usually very organized with events like this, but this time it came so fast. I wasn't ready and nor did I know the things I needed to prepare for outside of Utah. Because there are so many children baptisms every month in Utah, things are done a little different. The program and everything is arranged for you. All I would need to worry about it getting fit for a white suit, sending out invites to family and friends and then preparing the food for afterwards.
The sunday before Josh's baptism we drove to the Melbourne temple to take some pictures and I put together a little invite that we sent out to a few of our new friends and ward members.
Literally a couple days before his baptism I was in a panic. I wasn't ready, we didn't have white clothing for Josh, we needed to plan and prepare the program, create programs for the day, ask someone to play the piano, give prayers, prepare food and fill the font for us. Whhaaatttt?
I went to Costco and bought finger foods, muffins, fruit, cups, plates...
Josh had asked his grandparents back home to speak at his baptism a week or two earlier. They were given assignments and recorded their talks that we played on the day.
I was really missing my mom and the help she would have given me. I have been blessed to have angels put into my life here in Australia that helped make the day special.
Sandra took the lead on so many things, she made calls and arrangements, purchased items I forgot to and even found some white underwear for Josh. Yes, it's literally impossible to find white undies for boys here, she found some women's that could pass as boys briefs.
She corresponded with two other people and they found white pants and an extra white shirt for Josh to wear. Noellene went out and bought a pair of boys white cricket pants. Lesa loaned me a white shirt. I was feeling overwhelmed with help and extremely emotional.
The night before Josh's baptism Aaron realized he didn't have white pants. He had forgotten that he didn't bring his over from America and had been borrowing them from the temple. Early Saturday morning he was frantically tracking someone down, Marcelo kindly let Aaron borrow his and brought them around early that morning.
Sandra continued to remind me through all this that I need not worry. That I needed to focus on what was special about this day and not all the 'fluff'. It really did help me focus my attention and worries. We sometimes let ourselves get so caught up on all the 'fluff', the non important things. It was a good reminder that I needed.
The day began a little stressful but it turned out so wonderful. Better then I had ever expected.
I was overwhelmed with joy for our son Joshua and his choice to be baptized. I was emotional hearing our parents speak to Josh and overcome with love by all the ward members that showed up to support us.
I had put the food I bought into the kitchen and planned to get it out after the baptism. By the end of the baptism Lisa W. had arranged and incredible spread of food in the Primary room. As I walked in I nearly burst into tears. There was SO much food, people brought plates and plates of food. Someone grilled up sausages and Lisa baked up some ham and cheese croissants. I was speechless, didn't know what to say or do. My heart was filled with incredible joy and love for all of these wonderful people. It truly was the perfect day!
I am so grateful for the women pictured below. They helped to make this day perfect for our family and particularly Josh. I will always remember and love these women dearly.
*Funny side note: We had forgotten to take the second white shirt for Josh to wear after coming out of the font but no one realized until after the baptism.
While we all went back into the Primary room where we watched mormon messages and wrote special notes for Josh, Aaron was coming up with a solution. Aaron ended up wearing his wet white shirt under his suit and dressed Josh in his spare shirt. No one even noticed but I had to take a picture once we got home. I was wondering what took them so long to come back into the room.






Lovely photos and record of Josh's special day. So happy that you have so many angel friends there in OZ :-)
ReplyDeletewow! What angels have been placed in your life. I'm so glad the baptism went beautifully!
ReplyDelete